Friday, May 11, 2012

Hallicrafters S-38 E Final

The radio she is finished...





I decided to paint the cabinet since it had a few rusty spots inside and out. The grey Hammer-tone is a little darker than the original. I masked off the control panel to keep from having to re-do all the control knob lettering, and logo. Some time in the future I will get the hang of water-slide decals and do a proper job. The front glass was cleaned with denatured alcohol. I cut new rubbers for the bottom side of the glass out off out heat shrink tubing. ( gives the glass to metal a little cushion) The old ones were dry rotted. The S-38 series  radios were made between 1957- 1961.




The speaker needed serious help. It was very dry, dusty and I could see light through the cone! I did a little trick one of my Elmers showed me once. I sprayed the cone with clear enamel spray. 3 light coats and  it stiffens the cone up and makes it a little stronger.


This is the same original speaker. They make a commercial speaker cone paint (like with a brush). I like this cheaper method, fast and easy.





That's it for this old radio. I am on the lookout for a better knob set. If you really want to go first class you can buy or make your own bottom and back covers. Labels, you can get a copy of those too. Stain them with a teabag and it will look like the original labels! This radio is going to my night stand. I have an antenna already there for a short wave set.