Friday, August 17, 2012

Antenna switch project


I needed a new switch for my boat anchor gear. It is a chore to find each coax cable, identify it and chose between the tower antenna, or dipole. Fortunately I was in luck, my friend James had just started his project and sent me the link on an action site to get a couple for my self.










 


 It is quite the beefy switch, the spring is a little stiff but I think it will be OK.





 The box I picked out is an extruded type hard anodized aluminum. It has a sliding top or bottom depending on how you want to mount it. I chose the model with the flanged end plates. This way I can mount it on the cabinet close to where I need it. Easy to drill with a tough black finish.





                                                         40 holes later.....




The switch and all the SO-239's are in and soldered  except the end antenna feed. The solid copper came from some old coax pieces.

The SO-259 Antenna feed soldered in place, and on top the switch knob is installed.




There it is, completed top view. I'll add some identifying marks for each of the 6 switch positions. I got out the Ohm meter before I buttoned it up to make sure there was continuity between each switch position and the antenna feed input.  That is all there is to it. A couple hours planning and construction. A very solid switch that should last a long time.